Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Shift #1

My first shift for preceptorship. I spent a lot of the day observing and orienting to what my preceptor does. I did perform g-tube cleaning and a dressing change. I also assisted in a g-tube teaching session with parents of a child with a newly placed g-tube. I learned a lot about why gastronomy tubes are placed- poor nutritional intake, failure to thrive, short gut syndrome, how they are placed (PEGS are placed endoscopically, while buttons are placed in the OR and require an incision), and emergency treatment if the tube comes out (try to replace, then try a catheter a size smaller than the tube the child normally has, then if that doesn’t work go to the ER.

So far I feel like this is going to be a good experience for me, even if it isn’t the exact experience I had hoped for.

No comments:

Post a Comment